Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Blog Assignment: Wednesday Night

     During discussion earlier in the day I explained that I thought dealing with complex text in an unbroken and unbothered focused manner was a taught behavior.  I said that when I was younger, my parents would always have me go to my room and sit at my desk to do homework.  I was not allowed to have my television on or have any distractions in the room with me.  Only when I had completed my homework could I turn on a radio, T.V. or computer.  This was the way I did my homework for many years because my parents had taught me to do so.  It became difficult for me to complete work somewhere other than a peaceful quiet area. 
     Now that I am sitting here attempting to write this blog, I have realized that I have stopped to answer a text message or a phone call a hand full of times.  I am still in my room and it is quiet, but I have added a few distractions.  This digital interaction has managed to work its way into my workspace despite what I had been taught by my parents.  I know that I would have completed this assignment long ago if I could just stop multitasking and focus on my work.  This digital interference is a caught behavior.  It is a behavior learned from the culture and society we live in today.  I do believe that I have learned the correct way to complete assignments and work through complex text in a focused way, I just choose not to use the tools I have learned.  I can't help but to keep my phone and other digital devices close to me and if I had my way, I would have had a facebook tab open while writing this as well... 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, this is so true. Students don't know the best ways to study and even when they are told to have a quiet place to study they don't always follow through. It is wonderful that you had someone in your life that forced you into making good habits.

    I sometimes struggle with my students. I work in an urban community and hearing about some of their home environments I am discouraged. Sometimes a quiet place to study just isn't practical in their homes. If you had any ideas about how to help students in urban communities understand the importance of creating a good study environment, I would love to hear them!

    ReplyDelete