When I was very young, technology wasn’t important to me. We lived on a street with all of my aunts and uncles on my father’s side so I always had my brothers and my cousins to play with. This was good because we were constantly being told to, “go outside and don’t come in until you are called!” Being a teacher and a nanny, I now understand why they did that. It was partly to keep us out of their hair, also to tire us out but most of all to keep us from plopping down in front of the television.
What I do remember about technology being used in my house as a child was listening to my father’s CDs that he always played really loud. I remember watching David Bowie music videos because he was my mother’s favorite and watching Dirty Dancing, Grease or Labyrinth whenever I could get the T.V. and VHS to myself. I also remember watching the Simpsons and The Wonder Years after dinner every night with my family. Other than that, the controller was my fathers and no one was ever interested in what he was watching.
As we got older and my parents’ schedules were changing, we were home a lot more on our own. We all ended up having a television in our own rooms that we were allowed to watch as soon as our homework was done. My brothers were very into video games that I would occasionally watch when I was really bored but I never got into it myself.
We ended up getting one computer that was in my parents’ bedroom. We were only allowed to use it for certain things such as school work. Otherwise we had to do our work on a word processor that my older brother had gotten for his birthday one year. I remember it being the most amazing thing to me at that time. I was always typing up some kind of new story, just for fun. We also had Web T.V. which allowed you to go on the internet through your television. I had to fight my brothers to get a turn using it, which wasn’t always worth the effort.
I guess now that I look back, we really did use a lot of technology. The older we got, the more technology we used. Later came the Discman and a cell phone and when I had enough money saved, I bought myself my very own laptop. Now I have the iPod, the iPhone and a Kindle. It seems like every year a new piece of technology comes out, which means every year I become a little more broke.
I completely agree with you that the more technology advances the more we need to spend. We can definitely see the connection between technological advances and a materialistic society! It makes me wonder where we go from here.... ??
ReplyDeleteI can relate to your love of the outdoors when you were younger. I was also outside a lot however I did watch a good amount of television. I was never into technology growing up also but unlike yourself my interest just began through seeing how much I need to be technology efficient as a teacher.
ReplyDelete