Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"Wikipedia: Friend or Foe?"

     Before reading the article "Wikipedia: Friend, Not Foe" I really didn't know about the controversy surrounding Wikipedia.  I was amazed to find out that anyone can change the website and its credibility!  After reading the article, I am torn and left with questions and concerns.  I felt, while reading the article, as if it was written by someone really trying to push the website.  It seemed as if they were trying a little too hard to get people to see that it can be beneficial.  I did understand their points but also feel that if I am trying to get my 3rd graders to do an online research paper, why would I want them using this site if it can potentially give them false information?   
     I suppose learning about false information on the web and in books could start as young as 3rd grade but they are so new to researching on the internet.  Every step needs to be taught when assigning a research project, so it can be very time consuming.  Would adding the fact that information they are finding may be false be unnecessary at that age?  Why not just have the students use other sites besides Wikipedia?  That is the question I keep asking myself. 
     If I were to use Wikipedia in my classroom, it would be to start an assignment.  Students would first be told about the website and the issues that surround it.  They would be allowed to gather information from Wikipedia but would then have to back up the information using other resources.  They would never be allowed to use only Wikipedia.  In conclusion, suppose I am in between on whether Wikipedia is "friend or foe." 

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I can absolutely relate to everything in your post because I also teach 3rd grade. I agree that I would not allow my students to use Wikipedia as a resource for online research because there are so many other credible sites online. Although the article states other ways to use Wikipedia, such as checking the credibility of a website, this is not something that we would teaching 3rd graders in depth. They are just too young. What do think the best way would be to teach Wikipedia to our 3rd graders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    I agree that making sure you would tell your students about the issues with Wikipedia before you let them use it would be beneficial. I also see your point that having 3rd graders using Wikipedia when they are so new to the idea of research would not necessarily be good use of your time as a teacher. What if you were teaching older students, 5th grade possibly, who were more secure with research, would you then allow them to use Wikipedia? Even if only to start their research?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    I do feel that 5th grade is a great starting point for teaching lessons on a sources credibility. When I was reading this article, I was trying to think of a grade that should be taught these skills and 5th was the grade I chose.

    Lindsay,
    I loved the sticky note idea from yesterday! It may have been you that mentioned doing a sticky note bulletin board which I thought would work wonderfully. Post a subject on the board and allow just your class or the entire school to then add to the subject information they know or have researched and found. It would be a great way to show how information can grow and change and sometimes... be wrong.

    ReplyDelete